Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Erin Brockovich Philosophy and Washington State Daycare

Erin Brockovich Philosophy

The long and winding road of government hiding, concealing, altering and destroying public records and information a parent has a right to know before placing their child in licensed care must stop and instead have transparency become business as usual in Washington State.

I like what Erin Brockovich wrote about philosophy on her website:

"I am an advocate for awareness, the truth, and a person's right to know. I believe that in the absence of the truth, all of us stand helpless to defend ourselves, our families and our health, which is the greatest gift we have."

I see on her website she deals with the toxic issues around mold.

Not too long before I left daycare licensing one of the licensed daycare providers on my caseload called me to warn me that a group of daycare providers were having meetings against me; and inviting my managers to these meetings. She shared another day care provider on my caseload complained about me making her remove the mold from her bathroom. When the provider who called me made a statement at the meeting as to my fairness, she was verbally attacked and taunted that she was "teacher's pet". She shared that SEIU folks were at this meeting as well as a lay representative who represents daycare providers at administrative hearings.

SEIU 925 getting in the daycare business led to the Department of Early Learning (DEL) taking off transparent information that parents could review to make decisions. DEL had started scanning in the Facility Licensing Compliance Agreements (FLCAs), that showed violations of regulations at daycare facilities as well as the plan of correction the daycare provider would accomplish; and posted those documents on the DEL website. We were told SEIU 925 complained and thus DEL removed this information vital to parents making daycare decisions about where to place their child while they are away at work.

We're still waiting for DEL to comply with RCW 43.215.370, a law past in 2007 t0 post revocations, suspensions and denials on their website.

Yes, "a person's right to know"...a parent's right to know.

No comments: