Sunday, June 26, 2011

Posting of Revocations, Suspensions, Denials of Day Care licenses by The Department of Early Learning (DEL)

I blogged in April 2010 about RCW 43.215.370, bill passed in 2007 by the Washington State legislature (over a year ago) that DEL would not comply with.

I contacted DEL managers, I contacted the governor, I contacted the attorney general, I contacted the state auditor, I contacted the office of financial management, I contacted senators & representatives and I contacted the media about this "shall" law, meaning "ya gotta do it."

DEL managers claimed they did not have the computer ability to do it. Through public disclosure I received a spreadsheet of such a list and have now created a page on my blog related to revocations, suspensions and denials of child day care licenses in the state of Washington from 2001 to 2008.

In the olden days we typed up such lists. In that spirit I've created a new page on my blog to give the public the information the legislature required DEL to begin doing in 2007.

Cost to put it on this computer system, this Google blog?  $0.00.   Hours of my time?  About 3 hours. 

Spreadsheets don't copy easily, however, the basic information is listed so parents and other citizens see the work of child care licensing regarding revocations/suspensions/denials of child day care licenses and applications at least from 2001 to 2008. 

The Records Retention Center requires these files to be kept 35 years.  One good reason to do so is that a parent or citizen can determine the status of the day care person who they are considering leaving their child with and this is a treasure trove of data that can be mined to improve day care licensing processes, including being fair to the applicant and licensed provider.

I'll post more when received and I will also post an article when DEL puts such information on their 3 computer sites; and give them a big hearty thank for complying with this law. 

1 comment:

Austin said...

How do I find closure details and circumstances about a Family Home Provider (child care facility) in 2004 in Sequim, WA.